Southeast Missouri Athletics Baseball



Schedule/Results | Roster | News | Archives
Asif Shah allowed just four batters to reach base in a complete game shutout in game two.
Asif Shah allowed just four batters to reach base in a complete game shutout in game two.
Baseball Home

Baseball's Championship Run Ends In a 15-12 Loss To Jacksonville State In Semi-Finals

Brad LaBruyere Strikes Out Nine As Baseball Stays Alive By Beating Tennessee Tech, 6-1

Casey Jones Homered Twice to Power Baseball Past UT Martin, 12-7

Email this to a friend

Redhawks Sweep Doubleheader Against South Dakota State

  • print
  • email
  • font +
  • font -
  • rss

Feb. 25, 2007

Box Score

CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. - (Sunday, Feb. 25, 2007) In just his second collegiate game in his hometown of Cape Girardeau, sophomore outfielder Matt Wulfers hit a three-run walk-off homer in game one of Sunday's doubleheader against South Dakota State to put the Redhawks on top 7-4. Southeast went on to sweep the doubleheader with a 1-0 victory in game two.

Southeast (4-2) and the Jackrabbits (4-5) schedule two seven inning games today beginning at 12 p.m. after rain showers washed out Saturday's contest.

After South Dakota State put up an early run in the top of the first, the Redhawks answered with three of their own in the bottom half to give Southeast an early 3-1 lead.

Nick Harris led off with a double down the left field line and scored two batters later on Matt Wagner's double to right. Phillip Riley followed with a RBI single up the middle. Then, with two outs, Dustin Pritchett reached base on a walk and Riley scored from second on Jim Klocke's single to left.

A three-run top of the third put the Jacks back on top, but it would be the last time they scored all day. After a single and a fly out to start the innings, South Dakota State's Jake Rogers and Craig Parry hit back-to-back RBI doubles to left field. Parry would later score on a single to center with two outs.

Southeast tied the game with an unearned run in the fifth inning after Zachary Blemker reached base on an error by the second baseman.

In the top of the seventh and the game tied, senior lefty Josh Parham came on in relief for southpaw Josh Syberg after the freshman gave up a two-out double. Parham (1-0) recorded the out to send the game into the bottom of the inning with the score still tied at four. Syberg exited the game having allowed four runs on eight hits in six and two-thirds innings pitcher. He also struck out four batters and did not issue a walk.

Matt Wulfers, a native of Cape Girardeau, hit the walk-off homer in game one and recorded the team's only hit in game two.

After Harris flied out to start the bottom of the inning, left-hander Dalton Decker (0-2) came in to pitch for the Jacks. Asif Shah singled through the right side, and he was replaced at first base by Wagner who reached base on a fielder's choice as Shah was putout at second for the second out. Riley singled to right center before Wulfers three-run homer over the right-center field wall ended the game.

Wulfers was 2-for-4 in game one including the walk-off job, one run scored and three RBIs.

Southeast enjoyed another walk-off victory in game two, but this time by way of an old-fashioned pitcher's duel.

Shah, the game-two starter, got into some trouble early on but cruised after getting out of a couple of jams.

In the first inning, the southpaw gave up a lead-off double and then the next batter reached base on a wild pitch swinging third strike. With runners on first and second after the wild pitch, Shah forced Rogers to foul out for the first out. Klocke caught Nick Adams stealing second for the second out, and then Shah closed the book on the jam with his second strikeout of the inning.

Again in the second, SDSU led off with a base hit from catcher Tony Martin, and then he moved to second on a sacrifice bunt. With just one out, Martin advanced to third on a passed ball, and Tim Hanigan followed with a walk to put runners on the corners.

The next batter blooped the ball into shallow right center field, but right fielder Brent Lawson made an outstanding sliding play in the mud for the out. With Hanigan drifting off first base on the out, Lawson made a throw from his knees, but it wasn't in time. In the meantime, Martin was advancing toward home. Although the throw at the plate wasn't in time, Southeast completed the 9-3-2-5 putout at third base as Martin was called out for not tagging up after Lawson's grab.

After the two jams early on, Shah shut down the South Dakota State offense the rest of the game. He senior from Cincinnati, Ohio, retired 16 straight batters beginning with the last batter in the second inning. The Jackrabbits did not get another runner on base through regulation.

Meanwhile, SDSU starter Caleb Thielbar wouldn't let the Redhawks on base form the start of the game. The sophomore left-hander did not give up a hit to the Southeast through seven innings of regulation as the game went into extra innings knotted with no score.

Thielbar allowed just four SEMO batters to reach base through the first seven. Wulfers reached on an error by the second baseman in the second inning, and Thielbar issued walks in the fifth and sixth. Lawson also reached base in the sixth on a fielder's choice.

In the eighth, South Dakota State led off with a single and a sacrifice bunt, but Shah put the game in the hands of the offense after recording two quick outs to close out the top half of the frame.

With the stage set once again, Wulfers stepped to the plate to lead off the bottom of the eighth inning. This time, the left-handed batter dropped a double down the line in left field. The Jacks then elected to intentionally walk Dustin Pritchett, and Klocke flew out to center for the first out. Kirby Morsching, a right-hander, then was called upon from the bullpen as four right-handed batters were due up in the batting order.

Morsching, whose twin brother pitched in Friday's contest, immediately walked Daryl Graham to load the bases with just one out. Lawson reached on a fielder's choice as Wulfers was putout at home.

With the bases loaded and two-outs, Harris stepped to the plate but didn't even get the chance to drive in a run. Instead, Pritchett bluffed toward home from third base, drawing the walk-off balk from Morsching for the Southeast victory.

Thielbar (0-2) was pegged with the loss despite allowing just one base hit through seven and one-third innings pitched. Pritchett's run was the only one charged to him as he also struck out two and walked three. It was the first time Southeast had been one-hit since April 6, 1996, when they were no-hit in a seven-inning affair against Eastern Kentucky.

Meanwhile, Shah (1-0) threw an eight-inning complete game, allowing just three base hits and one walk. He also struck out eight batters.

The Redhawks return to action next weekend at Capaha Field as they host Cleveland State in a two-game series. Southeast and the Vikings will play at 1 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.


Redhawks Athletics Baseball
  Printer-friendly format   Email this article