Southeast Missouri Athletics Baseball



Schedule/Results | Roster | News | Archives
Louie Haseltine drove in four runs in the Redhawks 13 inning win
Louie Haseltine drove in four runs in the Redhawks 13 inning win
Baseball Home

Baseball's Championship Run Ends In a 15-12 Loss To Jacksonville State In Semi-Finals

Brad LaBruyere Strikes Out Nine As Baseball Stays Alive By Beating Tennessee Tech, 6-1

Casey Jones Homered Twice to Power Baseball Past UT Martin, 12-7

Email this to a friend

Harness Strikes Out the Side in the 13th Inning as Baseball Fights for the Win Over Missouri State, 8-7

  • print
  • email
  • font +
  • font -
  • rss

March 15, 2011

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery 

by Bo Bunton
Southeast Missouri State Sports Information

SPRINGFIELD, MO. - Louie Haseltine singled through the left side to score Trenton Moses in the top of the 13th inning and the Redhawks pulled off the win in a marathon game over Missouri State, 8-7.

The game lasted four hours 13 minutes, which was the longest game Southeast has played since April 22, 2009, when the Redhawks defeated Austin Peay in 4 hours and 12 minutes.

“This was a big confidence builder for us up and down the lineup and throughout the pitching staff,” said head coach Mark Hogan.

Haseltine was the offensive hero for the Redhawks, driving in four runs, while posting three hits in six at-bats. Michael Adamson had three hits while scoring two runs. Kenton Parmley scored twice in the game as well.

Corey Harness earned the win on the mound, pitching 2.2 innings of work, did not allow a single hit and struck out six batters, including striking out the side to end the game. Logan Mahon pitched three innings and did not allow a hit, while striking out three batters.

“Harness was devastating,” said Hogan. “It took everything he had for us to get through this and it was a fantastic win for the whole club.”

The two teams combined for 34 strikeouts and 23 hits. The Bears were no-hit from the fifth inning on and the Redhawks pitching staff struck out Missouri State 13 times from the fifth inning, to the final out of the game.

Trenton Moses continued to stay hot, roping a single to right field in the first inning. Moses moved over to third base on a single to right field by Casey Jones, but the runners would be stranded at the innings end.

Aaron Conway placed a Shae Simmons pitch off the right center field wall for a leadoff triple. It was Conway’s 12th triple of his career. After Kevin Medrano walked, Brent Seifert drilled a three run home run to left center field and the Bears took an early 3-0 lead.

Kenton Parmley got hit by a pitch in the top of the third inning and would score on a double down the left field line by Michael Adamson. With two outs, Louie Haseltine drilled a single through the left side to score Adamson. The Redhawks sent the game into the bottom of the third inning down 3-2.

Shae Simmons retired seven straight batters heading into the bottom of the fourth inning, but a leadoff walk and a double down the left field line ended Simmons’ night.

Jon Dicus entered the game with runners on second and third with no one out. A ground ball to Trenton Moses got the Redhawks the first out of the inning, as he threw out the runner at home plate. Keenen Maddox walked to load the bases, but a strikeout put Southeast Missouri just one out from getting out of the jam unscathed. A marvelous diving stop by third baseman Tim Rupp ended the inning and kept the Redhawks down 3-2 after four innings.

Redhawks leadoff hitter Kenton Parmley led off the fifth inning with a line drive single to short stop Travis McComack. Adamson singled just a few pitches later through the left side and the Redhawks had something brewing with no outs. Trenton Moses struck out, but Casey Jones torched a single that could have been a great play by short stop McComack.

Missouri State head coach Keith Guttin brought Grant Gordon in the game, but could not stop the bleeding.

Louie Haseltine gave the Redhawks their first lead of the game with a double down the left field line to plate Adamson and Parmley. Taylor Heon singled up the middle with the infield in that would score Casey Jones, but Haseltine was thrown out at the plate on a bang-bang play. Blake Slattery looked to end the inning with a strikeout in the dirt, but catcher Luke Voit could not see the ball and the Redhawks were still alive. Kody Campbell pinch hit for Brennan Malham and would head to first on four balls, but Taylor Heon would also cross home plate as the ball went to the backstop. Tim Rupp kept the inning alive with a single to right field that would score Slattery.

The Redhawks scored five runs in the inning and would take a 7-3 lead at the innings end.

Ryan Prickett relieved Dicus, but would quickly work from the stretch as Spiker Helms singled up the middle on the first pitch. Kevin Medrano moved Helms to second with a line drive up the middle.

Brent Seifert hit an infield fly to Trenton Moses, but Moses got turned around and could not come up with the catch. Medrano took off for second base because he thought there was no infield fly, so Moses threw to Kenton Parmley. Parmley stepped on second, thinking it was a force out, as did the second base umpire. Medrano headed to the dugout and that’s when things turned for the worse for Southeast. Head coach Keith Guttin pleaded his case, which he won, and Medrano would be pulled from the bench and be put back on second base. Tyler Paxson singled to center field that plated two runs.

Two batters later Keenen Maddox doubled to center field just out of the reach of Slattery to tie the game.

The Bears tied the game with four runs and five hits in the inning.

Ryan Prickett got into some trouble in the sixth inning as a leadoff walk and a fielding error by Taylor Heon set up the Bears with first and second and no one out. Prickett retired the next three batters with two strikeouts and a groundout.

Logan Mahon came into the game in the eighth inning and retired the Bears in order to send the game into the ninth inning with the score knotted at seven.

Louie Haseltine roped a ball to left field, but a great running catch by left fielder Keenen Maddox gave the Bears the big first out. Cole Bieser stole second base after replacing Heon, who reached on a walk. Kody Campbell came up with two outs and fouled out to third base to end the inning.

Logan Mahon and Dan Kickham were locked into a pitching duel, as both shut down the opposing hitters as the game headed into extra innings. Jesse Tierney stepped up in the top of the 11th inning and doubled down the right field line. Louie Haseltine got hit by a pitch with one out before Brett Russell struck out. Slattery dug into the box with the score knotted at seven and fouled out to the first baseman.

Mahon ended his night with 3.0 innings pitched, striking out three of the ten batters he faced.

Freshman Christian Hull entered the game in the bottom of the 11th inning and got some major help from Michael Adamson via a diving catch on a line drive by Medrano.

Senior Corey Harness replaced Hull after one batter and struck out the two remaining batters in the inning.

In the Bears half of the 12th inning, Harness walked the leadoff batter, but got a ground out to second base to get the first out. Maddox struck out on four pitches and Brett Marshall ended the inning with a fly out to Haseltine.

The Redhawks broke out in the 13th inning as Trenton Moses reached base on a throwing error by the short stop. Jesse Tierney walked to set up the one out scene for Louie Haseltine. He singled through the left side to plate Moses and the Redhawks had an 8-7 lead heading into the bottom of the 13th inning.

Harness struck out the side in the bottom of the 13th inning to finish off the Bears and give the Redhawks a 8-7 win. Southeast improved to 10-6 on the season and will conclude the series with the Bears tomorrow at 3 pm.


Redhawks Athletics Baseball
  Printer-friendly format   Email this article